Welcome to the CS3043 group project site for Ready Player One!
Scroll down to learn more about Ready Player One and its relation to computing technologies.
- Virtual 3D interactive worlds already exist with the help of specialized I/O equipment and powerful computers
- iPhone X implemented facial recognition and scanning, but the current technology is not as precise as in the movie
- Exists in many apps and games in the form of in-game currency and used for in-game purchases
- Due to the world-wide use of the in-game currency, the movie’s virtual currency could resemble today’s cryptocurrencies
- Communities of VR users have been a phenomenon since 2017 as seen in games such as VRChat
Complete VR Immersion
Control Technology with Mind
- There are currently prosthetics that can be controlled using signals from the brain, but the current state of the technology is far from the state of control in Ready Player One
Control Technology with Mind
- Omni-Directional Treadmill
Virtual Reality Headset with Computing Power
- Current VR technology uses headsets that connect to a desktop to process the VR
- Other VR headsets allow for a phone to be used in a VR headset, but the computing power is limited and far weaker than shown in the movie
- Microsoft has created an Emotion API to read emotion, but it is still in development
- Startup company HaptX has created a prototype that contains hundreds of pressurized pockets of air to simulate feeling in VR
Casual Drone Deliveries
- Amazon is developing drone technology to be used for prime deliveries
Amount of Copyright Licenses Used to Create Worlds, Avatars, Items, etc.
Hyper-realistic 3D Memory Segments from Past Videos, Documents, etc.
Networked Communications - Ch.3
Intellectual Property - Ch.4
If a user creates something in the OASIS, do they own that or does the OASIS own it. Do users own their avatars?? If so, what if they are knockoffs of copyrighted characters or universes? People paid for their services and creations within the OASIS. H makes money off repairing and building items.
Information Property - Ch.5
Players preserve their identity in the OASIS by using aliases. Information only gets out if people reveal their identity. Wade reveals his real name putting him and his family in danger. Someone was tracked easily by first name without government resources.
Privacy and the Government - Ch.6
This chapter is not relevant to the movie because the movie doesn’t focus or spend time on how the government works and its relation to OASIS.
Computer and Network Security - Ch.7
The virtual currencies in the movie could be stolen if the server operating OASIS was attacked. A security flaw in OASIS log off protocol allowed for “hackers” to prevent users from logging off. OASIS only uses 1 factor authentication allowing for susceptibility and account loss.
Computer Reliability - Ch.8
Work and Wealth - Ch.10
Plot Time Line
Person wakes up
Person almost dies
Movie Makers’ Intent in Regards to Computing
Words from movie people about computing and their movie…
- Conclusion 1
- Conclusion 2
- Conclusion 3
Made with love by broke college students.